Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Prayer of Humility

These are the words of a hymn but let us try to look at them as the words of a prayer, a prayer of humility.

How deep the Father's love for us,
how vast beyond all measure.
That he should give his only son,
to make a wretch his treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
the Father turned his face away.
As wounds which mar the chosen one,
bring many sons to glory.
Behold the man upon a cross,
my sin upon his shoulders.
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice,
call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held him there,
until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life;
I know that it is finished.
I will not boast in anything:
no gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ; 
his death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from his reward? 
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart:
his wounds have paid my ransom.

We are those who's voice is mocking along with the scoffers. We are the reason the Father had to turn his face away from the Son. We are the wretch who has been turned into a treasure, into "His" treasure. Why should we be His treasure? Why should we gain from His reward? What if God is trying to show us His grace. For the bible says in Ephesians... "But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift." A gift of grace...? What a sweet, humbling thought. The bible also states in the book of James: "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” So first we must let go of the grip we have on pride, and then open our hands wide to the gift of grace He offers so freely.

1 comment:

  1. This song is so convicting. I don't think that I hate pride the way I should. To be honest, I don't even think about it as a problem most of the time. That is so terrible! Pride feels like the root of sin, really. Anyway, this is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete